A community is only as strong as the support it provides in a time of need. As you look around the Capital Electric Cooperative (CEC) service area, you see people helping others all the time. One way your cooperative gets involved is by providing grants to people and organizations to make the community stronger.
Operation Round-Up is a program in which CEC members voluntarily choose to round up their monthly utility bills and donate their pennies to a charitable trust. The money pools and accumulates, and an elected board of five co-op members reviews grant applications submitted by local people and organizations to determine grant worthiness.
Charitable Trust Board Members Roger Christianson, Barb Handy-Marchello, LeAna Hug, Roberta Thorsen and Neil Ness met in March to review grant applications submitted in the past six months. They awarded a total of $27,700 in grant dollars to 16 worthy recipients. This is a significant total and reflects the commitment you, our member-owners, demonstrate to this program. These grants touch lives and make good things happen in our community.
CEC distributed its most recent round of grant checks during a presentation ceremony on March 26 at co-op headquarters in Bismarck.
The following individuals and organizations received assistance from Operation Round-Up:
- Six area residents (medical and other living expenses)
- Tracy’s Sanctuary House (security system)
- Volunteer Caregiver’s Exchange (elderly services)
- The Salvation Army (transportation for clients)
- Freedom Riders/Disabled American Vets (transportation)
- Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch (greenhouse program for kids)
- Guardian and Protective Services (elderly services)
- Abused Adult Resource Center (homeless shelters)
- AID, Inc. (low-income assistance)
- Heartview (HEART program)
- Pleasantview Cemetery (cemetery repairs)
The next application deadline will be July 31. Any person in the counties of Burleigh and Sheridan may apply to receive an Operation Round-Up grant. To request an application, call CEC at (701) 223-1513 or download the form at www.capitalelec.com. To visit, click on Our Services > Operation Round-Up.