A community is only as strong as the support it provides in a time of need. As you look around the Capital Electric Cooperative (CEC) service area, you see people helping others all the time. One way your cooperative gets involved is by providing grants to people and organizations to make the community stronger.
Operation Round-Up is a program in which CEC members voluntarily choose to round up their monthly utility bills and donate their pennies to a charitable trust. The money pools and accumulates, and an elected board of five co-op members reviews grant applications submitted by local people and organizations to determine grant worthiness.
Charitable Trust Board Members Roger Christianson, Barb Handy-Marchello, LeAna Hug, Roberta Thorsen and Neil Ness met in August to review grant applications submitted in the past six months. They awarded a total of $23,000 in grant dollars to 13 worthy recipients. This is a significant total and reflects the commitment you, our member-owners, demonstrate to this program. These grants touch lives and make good things happen in our community.
CEC distributed its most recent round of grant checks during a presentation ceremony on March 26 at co-op headquarters in Bismarck.
The following individuals and organizations received assistance from Operation Round-Up:
- Two area residents (medical expenses)
- Community Action Program (backpacks for kids)
- Scottish Rite Speech Therapy Center (children's speech services)
- Great Plains Food Bank (food for those in need)
- Freedom Riders/Disabled American Vets (transportation)
- BisMan Autism Families (services to families with autistic children)
- BIO Girls (self-esteem program for young girls)
- Missouri Valley Coalition for the Homeless (homeless assistance)
- Charles Hall Youth Services (services for youth)
- Bis/Man Quota International (sound systems for classrooms)
- Pride Manchester House (services for youth)
- First Presbyterian Church Child Care (educational equipment)
- The Village Family Service Center (family services)
The next application deadline will be January 31, 2019. Any person in the counties of Burleigh and Sheridan may apply to receive an Operation Round-Up grant. To request an application, call CEC at (701) 223-1513 or download the form at www.capitalelec.com. To visit, click on Our Services > Operation Round-Up.